Saturday, March 11, 2023

COOLING (ANNAN) RAJAIAH

 COOLING (ANNAN) RAJAIAH


Cooling Annan was a bachelor who worked in the railways. He used to look a bit like the hero in Tamil movie Server Sundaram - nagesh! This, with black moppy hair, sides of hair clipped,  spoke really fast, very humorous, black cigarette coated lips and nicotine stained finger tips. He was of average height probably 5'4" , measuring maybe 70-72  kg,at the most.

His passion was music. He used to come home during last and final practice before services, on the way to dress rehearsal when I was very young and used to take me 'doubles' for the practice on his green moped  This was because my father was very strict with my spending too much time outside studies ( I any way used to kill time with street cricket, marbles, tops, kits, football, etc). As I grew up, I used go go on my own to practices for Christmas and Easter services always with his new compositions.

Music was inbuilt in him. He used to write music, cyclistyle it .No xerox those days. Music was handwritten by him. Music was either original or even Jim  Reeves . But he used to split the music and write for piano, 1st, 2nd violins, guitars, etc.

During practice just before  performance , he used to quickly  add music runs in semiquavers ,.... new ones for the first violins. He used to hum the notes and write them from his thoughts. This is a quality of Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, et al. He of couse did classical music too.

He had a relative lady the Mrs Mary aunty
 who used to write lyrics for nativity, passion, crucifixion, etc. I had occasionally seen her in choirs, but those days I was too young to know her. ( # Mrs Christy Christopher has clarified further on Mrs Mary Lazarus Aunty.  'The lyricist was Mrs. Mary Lazarus. An accomplished lady herself. A Tamil pandit, who taught many overseas missionaries to speak and read Tamil. She was teaching at Holy Cross School. Also, the State Director for guides and scouts in Tamilnadu. Amazing lady and a great social worker.')

His team was Rajasingh Theodre annan the accordionist, Rajasing Samuel annan,1st Vio ,me with him, Charlie Annan - violin ..... Manickam Samuel annan- second violin. He used to bring Wilfred Forbes a famous violinist / xylophonist from Chennai- who is the best violinist I have seen in real life till today. Cooling Annan's pianist for great occasions was Mrs Noble. But he played piano almost all the time if he was not conducting. 

He  was the church organist in St Christopher's Church in Trichy . He formed after  many years a group called Carolers, in my 5th standard. I know it as I have a picture of myself playing first violin in shorts and sandacs.  My farther declined to stitch full trousers or get bkack shoes just for one occasion for me.

His early days were in the movies,  they used to say. Which probably was the reason why it was so lively. He used sometimes brought in drums, guitars, double bass . His knowledge of chords was phenomenal . He played a mean piano-accordion also.  He had a characteristic music signature of quicks runs in sequences, relying heavily on violins on high octaves, with dissonant chords.

In church, after the songs, during the sermons he used to slip out and smoke cigarettes.  But stay within earshot . Pastors before closing generally decreascendo   He used to breeze into the church to the piano on time for the offertory hymn.

He being an artist and a bachelor did not think much about money. Money was least on his mind, like most of the pioneer musicians 

He used to conduct in light yellow coat,  black pants and a black bow  for the  Carolers  group  The service every Christmas,  called the Candle light Service used to have catholics and protestants together ❤️  with both denomination  Bishops attending .

Till 1970 ,my PUC, I used to play for him.  Once I joined the medical course, I had no contact with him . People from Trichy used to say he was proud that his Ginger as he used to affectionately call me, became a doctor.  Last  I met him was when I went to Trichy, for a lecture . I visited him at home, he was not well. His music books had been put together in headings and painted.  He gave me one of each. And I knew I'd never see him again

One does not recognise greatness when one grows up in  the presence of an uniquely exceptional person. But as you grow up, it is important to know and recall every moment with that person and cherish it, as you may never walk  with such a talented person on earth again .

To me Cooling Annan in music was an enigma, a most unforgettable character , a Dr Fenn in music!

John Thanakumar 

3 comments:

  1. These are people who shape your life often without you realising it for quite some time. It is only much later that one realises what they meant in development of your character as a musician or a surgeon. I would fully agree with you John in categorising Cooling Annan for his influence on your music just as influence of Chief in surgery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's very true! Just as we hardly realize whose lives we may have helped to shape!

      Delete
    2. That's very true! Just as we hardly realize whose lives we may have helped to shape!

      Delete