Wednesday, October 17, 2018

A Train Travel to Remember - Decker!






"Travelling is more than having a destination in mind! It is discovering a place in your heart you have never been before"



My first time on the Double Decker Train, at least in India. Coimbatore to Bangalore.

Kind of strange when I saw on the digital display at station that it was due to start in PF 6!  When I footed to PF 6, I saw a Pollachi passenger in situ!! Double decker was staying way beyond in the dark dawning of 5.30 am!

Have I made a mistake in booking by this train , parked in an insignificant platform , unceremoniously beyond a local  passenger train?!

Things took a turn when I walked towards a huge, lively diesel engine, much larger than usual!

The train as such was bulky ,with compartments which looked not unlike the long distance North American trains!

Once I stepped in, I knew the difference.... Green everywhere! Live digital display of the stations, with visual announcements! No noise.



The train left on the dot, maintaining prompt punctuality throughout. Displays showed oncoming stations and so there was no confusion as to where we were , as is commonly seen in Indian trains, where many folks keep looking outta windows to see the name of stations!

Seating was 2: 3, unlike the usual 3:3. Seats were kind of narrow, but with adequate foot space!

 Bio-toiets too!



Clean,  well laid out toilets!



Pantry car was small, but stationed frequently between the carriages; hence there must be many pantry cars in this train! 



The food is still from IRCTC canteensπŸ™„, but packed better πŸ˜‰! In the modern world, it appears packaging is everything! πŸ˜‚πŸ€£

Young bright waiters who responded with knowledge and speed! I was told train was in service for only for the past 3 months!

They politely asked me if I wanted breakfast  - idly and vada with coffee! I might, after a while. Lovely spacious windows with a great full view too!



I heard a woman ask in the carriage if there was any service πŸ˜€ ! You know that means no one was bringing snacks to the seats and crowding up the aisles with coffee containers!πŸ˜‚  

No gender biasis too... the ticket examiner was a lady! Efficient, quiet!



Now on the negative side, the absence of noisy hawkers selling tea, coffee, snacks was deafening! Too quiet! .... Except for some inconsiderate travellers who were too loud on their phones! One also missed the smell of the countryside ( though at times I'd rather 🀣)!

The highlight of course was a video chat with my 2 year old grandson who recited all the 26 alphabets in English! His first time ever! Wow! The sun suddenly looked brighter ☀🌝!I walked to the vestibule to take the lengthy call.... why can't we all do the same !

I was happy not to have flown, but taken the train! I know life is not about how many things you rush through, but how you enjoy the journey ...mm... literally!

The double decker is not just a great train, but also a show piece for a growing great nation!

It reminded me of the suburban trains of New York, but less noisy, less crowded. Plus it is wifi enabled !! But only time will tell how we maintain the beauty of what have acquired !





















1 comment:

  1. Haven't yet traveled in one.. I prefer the bus to Indian trains. But this train looks like a, 'you should try once' type ☺

    ReplyDelete