Wednesday, December 13, 2017

(FOUNTAIN) 'PEN - DRIVE'



(FOUNTAIN) 'PEN - DRIVE'



When we were kids, we had only fountain pens! ( Why fountain- I don't really know)  Ball pens were very new . No school, or legal papers allowed them. Nor did our parents!

My sister and I had one or two Hero pens each. 



Every Sunday, my dad used to take the pens apart, wash them, clean them, fill them up with ink and make sure they work well. 

So the pens were always in working condition all the time. Hero pens were difficult to kill. Believe me, my sister and I tried to, several times!!



Before my father's era, there were quill pens.They did not contain the ink, but only the nib which had to immersed in the ink every time you wrote a line!

Do you know that the most interesting and romantic love letters were written with the quill ink pens. They were slow to write with and were laborious. The writer had time to put his thoughts in order before writing the words! 



But after the advent of ball pens, the love letters are much shorter because the pens moved on paper faster than the thoughts in the brain! Now with mobiles, the emoticons have away even words!

But I digress!

Recently, (with my young grandson opening cupboards and old packages) I have come across an army of fountain pens discarded, labelled as non functional lying around.

Remembering my late father, and his old habits, I gathered the pens, took them apart, cleaned them, and de-clogged the nibs of pens, watched on by my family with amusement.

Much to their dismay (and to my joy!),  all the pens are now functional and filled with ink - ready to be written with- ha ha!

'THE (FOUNTAIN) PEN-DRIVE'  has been been a successful mission after all !

Imagine my surprise when today my son Pravin dropped on my lap about half a dozen discarded ink pens, to be fixed! 

One fine day, I guess my grandson would expect him to do the honours!!

2 comments:

  1. Kids were told those days that they develop a good handwriting if they use a same fountain pen . every year especially for the annual examination , kids were gifted with fountain pens and now ,of course , as you said , doctor , we have very good ones - leak proof and colourful ones unlike those days where hero's were just black and meroon

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete