Monday, June 17, 2013

NOSTALGIA


NOSTALGIA


Nostalgia is nothing but “A sentimental longing for the past, typically for a period or place with happy personal associations”.

I was in Palayamkottai yesterday to speak at a surgical meeting. I had arrived early in the day so that I could visit the house where I spent 6 months in 1961 as a kid.

My father had been a government gazette officer being transferred from pillar to post. Wherever he went, we did too. Palayamkottai it was for 6 months. Though I was only in 3rd standard many decades ago, my memories are afresh as though it was yesterday.

As I sauntered on the neighbourhood… from my old school with adjacent church..… to my rented home of the past, it was nostalgic to walk back the same route I frequented some 50 years ago.

The church has now become a cathedral…. The service was over when I reached. I still managed to meet the senior priest to say hello.





 The Massive Holy Trinity Cathedral         
                                                


View of the Alter



View of the pews from the Alter


The main roads have widened a lot. There hardly used to be any cars on the road, but now so much of motorized traffic even on Sundays. TST ( Thallu Sir, Thallu) and TVS (Thalla Vendam, Sir) buses have been replaced by all sorts of colorful, faster buses with louder horns and over flowing passengers.

I traced the short cut which my sister and I used to take and visited the chapel in Adaikalapuram- now called St John’s Church with a cemetery where we, with our neibourhood friends used to play hide and seek!... ‘Robbers and Police’… brown uniform with brown belt across the waist and across the chest, pistols, whistles and all!



Adaikalapuram Chapel with Cemetry on its right ( Not seen on this picture)

The old house where we lived for 6 months still remained the same with the unaltered houses on either side. The street as I used to remember was wide... but looks mighty narrow now! The street also had vivid memories of ‘Kutchi’  ice cream man with a push cart ringing his bell during the day. At nights a different vender used to come with a larger cart with ‘petromax light’ with snacks and ‘Panju mittai ‘(cotton candy).


The old house is still the same! ( 'Green green grass of home'- Tom Jones)

Vijayakumar (God alone knows where he lives now!) who lived at the end of the street just adjacent to a fast moving stream, used to be one of my regular playmates in the evenings and sometimes late nights. He was living with his grandparents who used to feed me lime juice whenever I visited them. Street hockey was very popular and once when his grandfather bought him new hockey stick, he got me one too! Such was the friendliness of the neighborhood.



View of the street for football, hockey and what not!

The stream at the end of the street was always full of clear water and more so after monsoon… a favorite jaunt for the young folks to cool off. My father was an avid swimmer and naturally wanted his son to be too. His attempts at making me one were however futile! Out of frustration, one morning he set it up with some bigger boys to catch me in the stream when he threw me in ….. I bitterly complained to my mother about the incident. My fever the next day helped a lot and she put her foot down as she did not want her offspring to be drowned! Like all good mothers’ her words prevailed and that was the end of my swimming! …… Sad to see that the stream has been replaced by gutter water and rubbish… ;even the steps leading down are covered with waste material.


Sterling stream ... now a sad site!

My father frequent left station on official camps and I used to open his typewriter and hammer away.My sister, like all good siblings used to sneak in on me! Once too many times I had been discovered and had my ears tweaked to dissuade me…. But when I grew up and went to medical college, same father was proud to give the very same to me for making my notes. My typed notes were stuck onto my Bailey and Love Surgical Book! (which I still cherish!)

Even the school held great memories too. History teacher wanted to make a point about a war. She made 2 of us boys get into a playful fight and I was supposed to win; but my classmate had other ideas and almost beat me up to a pulp in front of the class. I still remember the anxiety on her face when she separated him from above me!

While walking back from school, I used to eye a clock cake in a bakery in the show case…. It was always there. The bakery is still but not the clock cake!

As I look back, we had enough time to learn a lot besides academics like music, casual reading ( Perry mason, Alistair MacLean, P G Wodehouse among books, and Phantom, Mandrake the magician among comics were my favorites)... marbles, tops, foot ball on the streets, hockey, ‘pandey’ ( played with kids hopping over squares and stones), gilli dhanda, kite flying… times have changed a lot.I did not see a single kid on the street.. that too on a Sunday, unheard of in our times!

Christmas was a great time of cheer! There were so many carol rounds by churches, Sunday schools, youth groups, school groups….. always dropping in at our homes on cycles, small trucks with ….. Much singing, guitars, piano accordions, violins reciprocated with warm coffee, horlics, cakes, biscuits wherever you went! Where have they all gone?

I caught up with my friend Premkumar Joseph a leading eye surgeon who lives closeby. We shared some of the old times in his garden and a meal together.Old friends are like old wine... they get better with the passage of time!




With Dr Premkumar Joseph

I guess that kids of today still have a great time watching TV cartoons, playing computer games, social networking etc. But times have really changed. And as we also adapt to the changes rapidly, little do we realize how much has changed unless we visit our roots and relive our  earlier days . Trip to Palayamkottai helped me just to do that! 

Rewinding rapidly your life even for half a day will make you appreciate life better!


No comments:

Post a Comment